Monday, November 25, 2013

Curry Katsu Ramen

Tonight for dinner I got a little creative. We had no idea what to eat. My cousin Kawena recommended Saimin. For my Puna and me, Saimin is always a good idea. Since I had time though, I figured I would get creative. 

Before I stopped eating meat. One of my favorite foods was chicken katsu curry. I would order that every time I would eat at L&L. The idea for tonight is inspired from Zippys (who makes an amazing Chicken Katsu Curry Saimin). Last night for dinner we had fish katsu (which replaces the chicken) and we had left over boxed Japanese curry in the icebox (the one that is in a long box, is in rectangle shapes and comes in mild, medium or spicy). 

My biggest problem was figuring out how I was going to make the shiru (broth) for the noodles. Me being me though, winged it. This is what I came up with:

Ingredients-

Cooked Saimin or Ramen noodles (portion out into bowls)
Top the noodles with vegetables (choi sum, bok choy, won bok, spinach, bean sprouts, or canned corn)

Shiru:
Chopped onion and garlic
Julienned carrots
3-4 blocks of curry
2 small cubes of vegetable bullion
Dash of Hawaiian salt *to taste*
5-7 cups of water


  • Saute onion, garlic, and carrots on medium heat for about 10 mins in a medium-large pot
  • Pour in water and let boil
  • Add in curry and bullion
  • If you have a hand mixer, mix the soup until everything is smooth.
  • Add in salt to taste.
  • If you need more curry add in another block. If the curry is too strong add more water and salt.
Katsu (any variety):
Meat or vegetables (eggplant, zucchini, etc.)
Egg (beaten)
Panko (Japanese Breadcrumbs)
Salt and pepper

  • Mix together panko with salt and pepper
  • Dip meat and/or vegetables in egg
  • Toss it in the panko and coat
  • Pan fry with oil until crispy
  • Let dry on a wire rack to get rid of excess oil
This is how you should layer the bowl:

  • Noodles
  • Vegetables (choi sum, bok choy, etc.)
  • Katsu
  • Broth poured over everything
Serve it with hot mustard and shoyu. Side dishes that go good with this are steamed man du, cold tofu, kamabuko (pink and/or brown) and/or kim chee.

Enjoy!

-L

No comments:

Post a Comment