Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Attempting my first overnight roasted turkey! :)

Since I returned home from Paris in May, I have been a "pescetarian"/ part-time vegan/ mostly vegetarian. But since tomorrow is Thanksgiving, I will indulge in a little turkey. 

Tonight my brother came home with a defrosted 22 lb bird, for free if I'm not mistaken. Since turkey (the whole bird) is my Puna's favorite choice of meat, we decided to roast a turkey over night. This is the first time a turkey has been roasted in my house in about half a decade, maybe more. We enjoy our bird fried (though now my Gramps has an infra-red cooker so we cut down on the oil). Since I've never roasted a bird, I thought Iʻd like to give it a try, so Gramps showed me what to do.

This will probably be one of the easiest recipes I will ever post. This roasted turkey recipe calls for only 3 ingredients:

  • defrosted turkey
  • paʻakai (hawaiian salt)
    • must be hawaiian salt, not sea salt
  • butter
  1. Clean the bird
    • take out the neck, fat and that bag inside the body
  2. Preheat oven to 200º
  3. Throw some paʻakai on the bottom of a roasting pan
  4. Put bird inside and salt the outside and inside
  5. Put in lower center of the oven with a foil tent on it
  6. When the bird starts to get some color (3-4 hours), rub it with more butter and add little bit more salt
  7. Let roast for 12 hours
I put the bird in the oven at around 6:15 pm tonight and will let it cook till about 6:30 - 7:00 am tomorrow.

I will update this blog tomorrow morning and let you all know how it went!

-L

PS. We are having dinner tomorrow with an "infra-red"turkey. The roasted turkey is breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment