Saturday, December 21, 2013

Green Papaya Salad

I would say that roughly every other Friday, I find myself in Chinatown (Honolulu) buying produce with my Puna because it is 90% of the time cheaper and almost always fresher than the grocery stores. Yesterday I found myself in Chinatown with Mother Dearest looking for vegetables for the ox-tail soup for dinner last night (ox-tail soup is one of my step-dads specialties and will appear on my blog if and when I ever master it). Going to one of my usual ladies, she had shredded green papaya by the cash register and over hearing my mom and I talking about it, told me exactly how to make it (to my surprise, one of the easiest recipes in the world). This recipe will be different because it doesn't have exact measurements, everything is according to taste and preference.

Ingredients:

Shredded Green Papaya
Pa'akai (hawaiian salt)
Fresh Garlic
Chili Pepper
Lime
Patis or any fish oil (optional if you want to keep this vegan/vegetarian)
Sugar
Chopped tomato

Directions:

  • In a large bowl mash together salt and garlic with a pestle (I didn't have one so I improvised, main idea is to incorporate them together)
  • Add Chili pepper and sugar and continue to mix
  • Add a little more salt and the patis
  • Add fresh lime juice and mix together
  • Toss in papaya and mix well
  • Add tomato (add more chili, salt, sugar, patis or lime if needed)
  • The Aunty in Chinatown told me remember this when cooking, "You need 4 things in this dish, salty, sweet, sour, and spicy! Is real ono dat way."
  • Enjoy
Here are some great toppers for the salad:
  • Tofu (fried or regular)
  • Sashimi (I had it with albacore this morning with little bit shoyu on top)
  • Shrimp (cold)
  • Chicken (seasoned with sea salt and asian herbs, grilled and chilled)
You can also toss in any kind of vegetables you prefer (ex. cucumbers, bell peppers, zucchini, onion, etc.)

This meal is very refreshing (and perfect for warmer days) and can either be served by itself for a meal or as an accompaniment to any asian meal (or here in Hawai'i any meal because we are not so anal about what is on the table). You can get very creative with this dish.

Bon appetite! 

-L

No comments:

Post a Comment